Several refrains, similar in emphasis, reverberated through our Bible reading trek through Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers today.
- “Do it the way you were shown (on the mountain).”
- “Just as the Lord commanded Moses. . .”
- “Moses did according to all that the Lord commanded him.”
Of course the ten plagues and Israel’s deliverance from Egypt are phenomenal beyond measue. But once God’s people came out of slavery, the rest of the reading comprised a full day of rules, guidelines, restrictions, regulations, instructions about sacrifices, and prescribed punishments. Whew!
Also very striking is God’s attention to detail. There was rich symbolism in every item of the Tabernacle and its construction. Just consider Aaron’s garb – he carried the entire nation of Israel on his head and chest!
Overriding it all stands one powerful lesson for me: THANK GOD for JESUS! THANK GOD for GRACE!
- What reminder of Israel’s wilderness wanderings was kept in the Ark of the Covenant?
- What is the meaning of the ‘covenant of salt?’